Thursday, December 10, 2009

Snacking


As Christmas quickly approaches I have begun to think about what it is going to be like. This will be my first Christmas with diabetes and I think by now I should have nothing to worry about. However, there are so many temptations around Christmas and it's a holiday that lasts a lot longer than a single day.

It's hard for me to resist snacking, the only time that it is pretty easy is when I am surrounded by people who are very aware of my diabetes. When I am the only one that knows I am sneaking a snack, I don't feel as bad. I have learned that despite me, 'ok'ing it, my diabetes is definitely not okay with it, and it tells me this by raising my sugar up.

For some reason, despite knowing how much sugar is in something, I am always shocked about how much snacking effects me. I am slowly learning that snacking is not always a free bee with diabetes, I sometimes need to just take a needle.

I would say that's the biggest difficulty that I have noticed. I don't like not being able to just snack like everyone else because sometimes you just want something small. Sometimes your sugars are too high to have an insulin free snack, so you have to take an extra needle.

I will definitely be experiencing many different things around Christmas and I am looking forward to the challenge.

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment